Welcome to Oxon Church Shrewsbury
We’re Saving a Seat for You
Welcome to Oxon Church
The Vicar, the Reverend Charlotte Gompertz, husband Adam, son Noah and daughter Molly welcomes you to the community of Christ Church, Shelton with Oxon, often referred to simply as Oxon Church. We are a thriving group, with an enthusiastic congregation, located in the heart of Shelton with Oxon. For your satnav, our postcode is SY3 5AH and we’re immediately opposite the Ego at the Grapes. Do feel free to pop in for a chat, or contact the vicar either by phone on 01743 235 369 or by e-mail at email@example.com
Oxon Church Services
Sunday: 9.30 am – Traditional Holy Communion using the Book of Common Prayer and alternating weekly with Common Worship which is in modern English. It is a Communion service each week and is led by the vicar, organist and choir.
Sunday: 11 am – Morning Praise. The style is more contemporary. It has modern music and the structure is much looser, to allow for a much more flexible pattern. It is more relaxed and less formal than a traditional service and Communion is shared on the 3rd Sunday of every month.
Sunday: 6.00 pm – Reflections.This means we meet to pray and study the Bible in an informal setting. Anyone can ask any question and it is a time for listening to one another and God.
REFLECTIONS ARE HAVING A SUMMER BREAK AND WILL RESUME LATER IN THE YEAR.
Wednesdays: 11 am in the Hall for Communion followed by tea, coffee, and delicious biscuits. The pattern alternates between Book of Common Prayer and Common Worship.
Glorious Reflections Taken By Annette Knight on Easter Morning When The Sun Shone Through The Church Windows
Verse of the Day
Oxon Church News
- NEW: Pew News. Articles and notices should be sent to the Editor, Stanton D’Arcy by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. To view the latest copy please click on the image on the right. To download the ‘Word’ version click on: November 17th 2019
- NEW: Social Gathering Wednesday 20th November OSH 2:30pm. Subject yet to be decided.
- NEW: Day Conference hosted by the bishops of Shrewsbury and Ludlow will be held at Meole Brace on Saturday 16th November from 10am to 3.15pm. These have been well supported by Oxon over the years. Cost £8 if booked by the end of October, £10 after that. Leaflets with details available at the back of church.
- NEW: The Children’s Society. Ann is pleased to report that a further £352.82 has been passed to The Children’s Society from the box scheme making our total so far this year £977.36. Emptied boxes are at the back of church for collection. A huge thank you goes to Linda and David Glover and Kathy Driscoll for helping to count the cash, and to Alan Hartley for helping to haul it to the bank. Thank you to everyone who has brought their box to church. There are still a few more boxes to come in and Ann will report the final figure in due course.
- NEW: Small Groups Afternoon and Evening groups are available: Please take a programme from the back of church or view it on the church website HERE. More information is also available from Sue Cooper and Pauline Johnson
- The Well meetings are: Every Monday morning from 10.30, a weekly drop-in facility for tea, coffee and cakes at the Community Hall. For more information click HERE
- 100 Club Draw for November has taken place. Results for the draw can be found by going to the 100 Club page. Application forms are now available for year 2019 / 2020 from Elizabeth Slade or from the back of church.
- NEW: Oxon Oracle for November 2019. Click lmage on the right to open.
- The Junior Choir meets on Wednesday evenings. 6-7pm in church. Thanks to The Ouseley Trust we are seeking to develop our work to include regular and seasonal services throughout the year and to perform at concerts where we have the opportunity. Just pop along and see us. Open to KS2 upwards. There is also an opportunity to learn to play a church organ under the tuition of the director of music John Bowen.
- Our Sponsors. A significant number of local companies sponsor our Church by taking out adverts on this website. There are too many to mention but all offer a valuable service which you may find helpful. All the adverts can be found by clicking the Our Sponsors button at the top of this page or HERE.
- Church Organ. The new organ has been installed and sounds wonderful. The gift was very generously donated by Gilbert and Priscilla Roscoe, from the estate of Gilbert’s late brother Glyn. Photo’s are now on the Gallery page above.
- Church Flowers – If anyone would like flowers put in church for a special occasion, or to remember some one, please ring Penny on 246759. Thank you.
- Aerial photos of the church. Wonderful shots, kindly taken and donated by Simon Knight. Please go to the Gallery page.
- Church choir. John, our Director of Music is looking for new choir members, especially tenors and basses, but everyone is welcome. Contact John or any Church officer, details are on the Contacts page above.Church evacuation. If a fire is discovered, and you are asked to evacuate, please leave the building in a calm, orderly manner, helping the less-able if necessary. There are 2 marked exits; the main door and a back-door exit via the vestry. Choice of exits may depend on the location of the fire. Make your way to the Assembly point which is next to the stone bench in the cemetery to await the arrival of the Fire Service. Similar arrangements also apply to the church Hall.