As a member of the Church of England, Oxon Church is responsible for having all its buildings inspected every 5 years, ‘Quinquennial’ by a chartered building surveyor or an architect approved by the Lichfield Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC).
It’s important that this inspection is performed as it identifies potential problems and makes sure work is carried out allowing all the church buildings to be maintained to a high standard.
The Oxon Church Parochial Church Council (PCC) is legally responsible for the maintenance of all the church buildings. The quinquennial report received following the inspection provides an overview on imminent building repairs listed in accordance with their priority.
The Archdeacon, DAC and grant-giving organisations approached by the PCC will also read the quinquennial report.
The full report can be read HERE.
A summary of recommendations taken from the report is shown below:
6.1 URGENT WORK & MAINTENANCE ISSUES
– Check and clear gutters and downpipes (annually)
– Clear the hidden valleys to transept roofs (annually)
– Check and clear all drainage gullies (annually)
– Check condition of gravestones and trees (annually)
– Check & clear paths (at least annually)
– Level the water-butt and ensure it doesn’t overflow
6.2 WORK RECOMMENDED WITHIN 1 YEAR
– Re-point copings to the chancel and organ chamber gables
– Check and re-fix the gable cross on the east end
– Re-point open joints to the vestry north gable wall
– Repair bottom of vestry door frame
6.3 WORK RECOMMENDED WITHIN 2 YEARS
– Re-point open joints to the west end
– Check condition of statue on west end, and repair as necessary
– Paint and gild the clock face on the west end
– Re-lead the vestry east window and fit better protection
– Carry out localised repairs to other windows and repaint ferramenta
6.4 WORK RECOMMENDED WITHIN 5 YEARS
– Reconfigure downpipe at n.w. corner to feed into a gulley
– Repair or replace fencing to northern part of west boundary
– Consider re-fixing or moving some gravestones that are laid flat
6.5 ITEMS TO BE INSPECTED BY SPECIALISTS (aide memoir)
– Electrics (to be inspected every 5 years by an electrician – due 2019)
– Fire extinguishers – to be inspected annually